Poetic Rain: The stars, and I

Monday, March 20, 2006

The stars, and I

I went for a walk last night
I think I was trying to catch the stars in my mind.
I’ve fallen in love with them
their beauty, and mystery.
same as any love affair,
I miss them when they are gone
wonder every moment
what they’ll look like when I see them again.
How will they show their presence
to the world, - to me?
Do others see them as I do,
and is it possible to be jealous for a star?
I’m not possessive in nature,
it’s just they are my breath
when I find it hard to take in air on my own.

They have kept me from loosing tears
down the curves of my cheeks.
As now I tilt my head and hold back the urge
to let the warm rain fall from my eyes

I know there is nothing to be sad about
And so I smile instead.

I’m so small in an infinite universe
but our love is larger than the entirety of it all:
the stars and I, since I can remember dreaming.
I’ve connected the sparkle of their existence
into my own constellations
My favorite reminds me of a love I once had
but is now replaced with the shape I’ve found
I’ve found a way to draw my thoughts
Onto the night sky
and find solace in the idea that when day comes
my love does not fade,
but is only eclipsed by the suns rays
which I figure -- is really not so terrible.

It’s possible to name every star
with words,
there is no end.
As I shuffled my feet along the bridge
only 2 steps from my house
I looked over the river
and saw only my stars reflected in it’s glass soul.
The river was kind enough
to let me see them in the mirror of it's dance.
My love, the stars.
I haven’t been really lonely since I moved here
I’m convinced it’s because I can see the sky.
In Michigan
you can count your blessings slowly
if you see a star or two between the clouds.
Gray skies overcast love in a way
I could not imagine ever going back to.
It’s impossible to forget how to love
when the stars touch you though a skylight above your bed
Before I sleep I can trace big dipper lines
to the past...
I watch them sparkle
and repeat the scientific explanation
for their beauty over in my head.
In my fathers voice
comes the natural answer to their delicate faces.
giant masses of fire, have become my calm.
They have everything I’d want
And yet nothing I can reach

but I love them non-the less.
They are my true soul mates.

All of them have a piece of my heart,
and they may never even know.
I am tempted to name the brightest
after the people I’ve fallen for
but nothing could do either the stars
or the men the due justice
So I leave it alone
And continue my walk
looking up,
To love
the whole way home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home